What I love about this date cake other than the easy preparation is the fact that I don’t need to add any sugar! I have this for breakfast sometimes because I can! less than 10 minutes preparation and bake in the oven for 20 minutes while getting ready to go! =D
1 tsp olive oil
3 tsp millet flour (tried it with corn flour but millet is just perfect with dates.. and full of nutrients too!)
2-3 tsp of date paste (or blend dates with water in a food processor)
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp vanilla flavoring (extract or powder)
a pinch of salt
– In a bowl, place the date paste and microwave for about 20 seconds.
– To make it easier to stir into the batter, add boiling water to the paste and mix until it becomes soft.
– Spray a soufflé bowl with canola or olive oil.
– Add the egg and whisk with a fork. then add the olive oil and mix well.
– Add the millet flour, baking powder, salt and vanilla flavoring and mix very well. (It is always better to combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl then add to the wet ingredients but I don’t usually like to use too many bowls because for me quicker is better)
– Add the date paste and mix. (You may add 2 tsp and save the remaining to make a sauce!)
– Bake for 20-25 minutes in the oven or in the microwave for 2 minutes. (if you’re going to use the oven, make sure you preheat it to 180℃ before preparing the batter).
– To make a sauce, add more water to the remaining date paste until it becomes runny or a bit thick if you want. and you know? I add sea salt to give it that taste of salted caramel sauce!