When I first found this recipe, I loved the fact that the title was “Kalamata” olive bread, because kalamata olives happen to be my favorite.
My sister fell in love when I first made this olive bread. She asked me to make it every weekend. Then when I got busy, she asked for the recipe to make it herself (a score for me because her asking for a recipe doesn’t happen quite often).
This recipe is very easy to make. you will not need to use your bare hands for kneading or anything of the sort.
Recipe is adapted from here.
– 2 cups all purpose flour
– 1 tsp baking soda
– 1/2 tsp salt
– 1 cup low fat butter milk (add 1 tbsp of lemon juice or white vinegar to 1 cup regular low fat milk. let stand at room temperature 5-10 minutes)
– 2 tbsp olive oil (or melted butter)
– 2 large egg whites
– 1/3 cup pitted and chopped kalamata olives
– Preheat the oven to 180℃.
– In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. Make a well in the center of the mixture.
– In a separate bowl, combine buttermilk, olive oil and egg whites.
– Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir just until moist.
– Spread batter into a greased pan and bake for 45 minutes.